Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

One Final DIY

As the days drew nearer to our wedding, I finished up all sorts of projects. Gifts, signage, printing...it was all done. Except one sort of major thing.
Image via: One Wed
Oh yes, flowers. Do you remember way back when I thought I could grow all the flowers for the wedding myself? Ha. That was a big fat DIY fail. Really it was. There were just so many things to do in the last seven months since we got engaged and my gardening has been pretty hit or miss this year (mostly miss). Luckily, we had a backup plan.

A few days before the wedding, we took snippers, buckets and gardening gloves in the back of my car when we went up to Jeff's family's farm. Our idea was to gather wildflowers and greenery from the farm to use for the table decoration as well as the two bouquets I still had yet to make.

Fail number 2.

New Zealand has been in a pretty bad dry summer this year...really dry summer. The North Island has been declared a disaster area because of the drought and we here on the South Island are about a week out from being declared a drought area as well. Well, all this hot, dry weather hasn't been helpful for wildflowers either. Instead we were assaulted by giant bumblebees (which have been enjoying this hotter weather) as we tramped about looking for anything in bloom.

Luckily Jeff's grandma lives at the farm and she has a great garden. She let us cut a lot of flowers from her place and we managed to find some dog daisies along a trail. We did at least get the greenery we needed.

flowers from the market
lawson fir from the farm
The next day I went to the market in town and got $25 worth of flowers from a lady. I also cut a lot of flowers from the garden next door (no one lives there, so I feel like it was okay a little bit) and every bloom from my own garden. As it turns out, this hodgepodge approach to our wedding flowers worked.

Bouts for the dads, which they didn't end up wearing.

My bouquet

table decor
The last picture here is a little preview of what we did for our table decorations...We got a lot of compliments on it and the flowers survived being cut for anywhere from 1-4 days. Pretty good, I think.

Did you flower vision come together perfectly, or did you have to make it work no matter what?

No comments: