Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Some More DIY

As we are really close to 40 days from the wedding, I figured I should really be pushing to get things done. There's always one or more things that I am doing and I do have trouble finishing something I've started. Oops.

I went back and forth a lot on whether to have a garter and do the garter toss. Mostly I side with not doing it...images like this one haunt my nightmares.

Image via: Lover.ly Photo by: Apple Moon Photography
I really don't want a picture of my new husband and I with his head between my legs. Umm, I don't think so (although this bride seems to be finding this situation HILARIOUS). So as much as I don't want to do this particular tradition, several friends who are coming to the wedding really want this. So far our wedding has really been about the two of us and who we are.

I don't really cave much to our friends or family in regards to our wedding, so I thought I could give them this one (and the bouquet toss). I really hope that we won't have a super embarrassing time of Jeff's head up my dress as it's a shorter dress and this is just too awkward to do in front of our parents and his grandmother. Nana does not need to see this happening!

So we will have a garter toss. Now I needed a garter. I found some stretchable lace on Etsy for a bargain at 10 yards for 8 dollars plus shipping. I also found a fabric flower pattern to print out from a friend and used that to create the flowers for the garters.

floral pattern cutouts
freshwater pearl beads in the center of my silk flower

two garters
I made the larger one first and decided I liked it too much to use for the toss. So the small one I will slip on for the toss so I can keep my pretty one. Not that I have any reason to have a garter at all, but hey, who cares, right?

I also have been working on my crinoline again. I have three ruffles attached now and five broken sewing machine needles. I hope that this is not a continuing trend. I don't have enough needles to keep going!

pinning ruffles

the pile of ruffles remaining to be attached
Did anyone else make their own garter? Did you find yourself changing your mind about a tradition and actually liking it in the end?

No comments: