Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's Push Time

It's getting so close, hive. I can't believe it's only 51 days until the wedding!

Image via: Tumblr
There's still so much left to finish, but I know I'll get there. And if I don't? Well, that will be okay. At least I'll be married to the love of my life after that point. Even if things aren't perfect and finished (which they probably won't be).

A close friend of mine got engaged two days ago and she is uber-excited to plan their wedding now. K came over today and asked about a million questions and went through my wedding binder to see what she'll need to do in the upcoming months. It's exciting to see someone close engaged and to be able to give them the advice that I've found over my planning time. After two hours of wedding chitchat and ideas, I bade a fond farewell to K and got back to business. See hive, I've been struggling with motivation lately. I don't want to finish any of the projects for our wedding and just want them all to take care of themselves at this point. But no one is going to do it all for me, so I pulled on my metaphorical big-girl panties and started work. Today I finished the glass bottles for our aisle arrangements for the chapel. I also think these might just end up on our sweetheart table after the ceremony. Hmm, that's a good idea. Okay back to the bottles.

We managed to find two pairs of colored glass bottles:
personal photo
But counting out the rows in the church and we needed a third pair of bottles. I found two bottles at the recycle center in town and decided that I could paint them. There are TONS of how-to's on painting glass jars and bottles available online. So after reading a lot of them- the agreement was on these two ingredients:

personal photo
One writer suggested watering down the glue and food coloring, another suggested heating the water and using gel food coloring in addition to the glue. I used regular old liquid food coloring from the supermarket and added it to water and mod podge. It was a very watery liquid that I used on the first bottle:

all I needed: wax paper, mixing cup, brush, glue, food color and clean glass to paint

personal photo
Something wasn't quite right. We wanted to have a bold color on the glass, not some wimpy tint to it. For the second jar I tried just using the mod podge and food coloring- no added water. Much better.

personal photo

I then went back to the first bottle and did a second coat without water. Both bottles ended up with two coats of the yellow mod podge and this is what I ended up with:

personal photo
They're still not as bright as I would have liked, but I do like them more now.
personal photo
Don't they look nice together now? For the chapel we're going to have these hanging from our awkward pews (Jeff's job to figure out) and filled with wild greenery from the Jelinek family farm- probably manuka and wild heather.

So I can tick one thing of my list of projects to finish up before the wedding. Oh, make that two- I made up a little sign to go next to our fingerprint guestbook explaining what people should do. It has this little clip-art with it:

Image via: Google
All I need to do is print out that sign and find a photo frame to hold it. I also need to find baby wipes and a couple nice pens for signing so that will all be complete and ready to go. I will get things done. Now if only I could tackle the rainbow crinoline with such ease!

Did you ever find yourself at a point where you couldn't be bothered to do anymore work towards the wedding? How did you get yourself motivated?

No comments: