Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Getting Dolled Up: Jewelry Edition

One of my least favorite things to think about for the wedding is concerning jewelry. It's not that I don't own or wear any because I do own plenty. I don't wear it very often and it's usually the same few pieces that I do wear. But my issue is that my taste in jewelry is a bit chaotic. I buy what catches my eye and rarely have items that go together. So when it came time to decide what jewelry I was going to wear for my wedding, I knew it wouldn't be anything I already owned and then I was stumped.

Then Etsy came to the rescue and I loved looking for necklaces and earrings to wear. I thought I was going to go the route of delicate silver, like this:

Image via Etsy: Flight of Fancy Jewelry
 Or this:
Image via Etsy: Flight of Fancy Jewelry
Then I thought more about it and thought I might want pearls. I don't own any pearls and I thought that the brides I did see wearing them looked timeless and beautiful. So back to the search engines I went. Then I fell in love with this little bad boy:

Image via Etsy: Favorite Jewellery
Oh be still, my beating heart!

But the price of $48 plus shipping was too much for me to seriously consider. I just couldn't do it. So I put this chain of thoughts back on the shelf to figure out later (I mean, I still have 3.5 months to figure this out). Then yesterday I went to town to take care of a few errands and while walking around downtown Nelson, I noticed a jewelry shop was having a 50% off sale. It was a bead store and I had never been in there before. I never went in before because I have a terrible habit of buying beads for jewelry-making in the same manner I hoard fabric for sewing...it's too much to resist most of the time, so I just avoid it. I walked around, overwhelmed by the sheer volume of beads in this place. It was ridiculous. Then I noticed that they had a lot of necklaces hanging up as well and starting browsing through those. That's when I found it. My wedding necklace cost me only $9.50 and is perfect.

Personal photo
I am really thrilled with this necklace. I could wear it again and while it's not pearls, but rather is seed beads, it's got what I want in a necklace. I'm not sure you can tell, but there are white, clear and beige beads here, so it goes really well with my dress. Now I have to figure out what earrings I'm going to wear.

Did you struggle to figure out what jewelry to wear for your wedding?

No comments: