Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Getting Dolled Up: Inspiration

Probably my least favorite part of our wedding I have to think about is my hair and makeup. If you really know me, you know I only wear makeup on special occasions and that my hair is best described as "independent." Okay, that's putting it nicely. I don't blow-dry, curl or straighten my hair on any sort of basis. I let it do what it wants and mostly it wants to be crazy. It's semi-curly, but closer to wavy. I don't own a blow-dryer and since I cut my hair off back in May, I haven't needed to use my straightener for anything except for two occasions when I was bored.
My long hair pulled to the side for a wedding in January.
See how long my hair was? Then I chopped it all off. That's what I do though. I enjoy a good haircut and the purge of loosing a lot of hair.

This is what I have to work with right now:

apologies for the bright white skin...computer photo
Had I known that Jeff was going to propose on my birthday a mere two months after my haircut, I wouldn't have cut it off. At least, I don't think I would have. It would have also meant that I had tons more options for wedding hair. Instead I'm hoping and praying that my hair grows out long enough to do something with by then.

Luckily I don't have to do my own hair for the wedding- a friend is gifting me a hairdresser for the wedding day. Yay! So all I have to do is decide how I want my hair to look.

Image via: WooInfo
 I'm in love with having braids worked into my hair. Braids are actually something that my hair holds really well (unlike curls).
Image via: Aisle Candy
I feel like an elegant low updo is best way to go. My hair struggles to hold curl for a long period of time and I'm worried about the summer heat. On the other hand, I think my current haircut will not allow for this to be possible. See, my hair is shorter in the back than it is in the front. Hmm...
Image via: Easy Weddings
This is likely to be what my hair actually looks like on my wedding day, except for the blonde color. Curly, swept back and hopefully lacquered within an inch of it's life...so it will last and last. I like the idea of soft curls and a casual look. It should look nice with my dress and suit my current hair length. Maybe I can get a couple little braids from my temple and then have it curly? We'll have to wait until next month when I have a trial with the hairdresser and see what wonders she can do with my hair.

What do you think would work best for my hair? Should I keep looking? How mad would you be if you chopped off your really long hair before you were proposed to and then planned a short engagement?

1 comment:

K said...

I'm likely leaving my hair down for the wedding (fine, chin-length, doesn't like to do ANYTHING!) but think all of your ideas (both the braids and low buns are gorgeous!) are great. I would see if you can meet with the hairstylist for a trial: they probably can figure out what will work best!!