Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Food on a Budget: Meat, nom, nom, nom

Since becoming an avid reader on WeddingBee, I have come across so many versions of a wedding reception that I was completely unaware of.

Cocktails and canapes

Cake and punch

Buffet dinner

3, 4, or even 5 course sit-down plated meal

When we sat down and started figuring out our wedding, there wasn't really any discussion about whether we would be serving dinner or not. I just assumed that we would because that's how it has been at every other wedding I've been to. Our biggest consideration is our teeny, tiny budget and how that can give us dinner for 80 people. Then I figured it out: potluck buffet.

Image via: Dina Fraboni Food


I don't know where you stand on the issue of a potluck wedding dinner, but I know that for us it works. We're not asking everyone to bring something, but those local people who are very close to us will be asked if they can help out. My dad will be providing our favorite portion of the meal: MEAT.

My dad loves to cook. When my mom went back to the workforce when I was in middle school, my dad took over the day to day cooking for our family. I learned most of my favorite recipes from him and have fond memories when I cook something from my childhood in my new home. My dad loves cooking meat nowadays. With all of us kids out of the house, my parents can afford nicer cuts of meat and thus my dad's skills have grown. When I call home he'll sometimes inform me of what he's cooking for dinner, what they had the night before and what is in store for tomorrow. He gushes about the rubs he has for the meats, and marinades he's trying out, etc. So when he volunteered to cook all the meat for our wedding, I was over the moon.

Personal photo: Dad reading to his dogs

We've decided to streamline our potluck dinner to a BBQ buffet with my dad cooking all the meat when he gets here before the wedding as well as his famous twice-baked potatoes. Mmmmm. I can't wait. Family and friends will be asked to help out with salads, veggies and bread rolls to round out our meal. BBQ is really common here in NZ and a favorite of our family back home, so I feel that this will be a meat-filled meal to remember. Our few vegetarian friends will be given lots of alternatives to meat though. Don't worry.

So all my Dad has to do is tell me what meat to get before he arrives because I'm still pretty clueless about cuts of beef and pork.

How do you feel about a potluck wedding dinner? Tacky? Would you make the time to eat a homemade dinner at your own wedding? Because you can be sure that I will!

2 comments:

K said...

That picture of your dad reading to your dogs is so adorable! I'm totally cool with potluck-style receptions: I think the trick is to ask specific people that you know won't be offended! It's not offensive to ask people if they'd like to help you with crafts or addressing invitations, why not to cook something (if that's their talent)? They can always say no, especially if you do it nicely and are close to them!

Leelee said...

I think that is an awesome idea! And I know a few of my friends cook better than what you would probably get served :) If I was in Nelson I would offer to make you a wedding cake^^ ( fondant flowers and all!) There is a really awesome butcher out in Wakefield.. you probably know the place I am talking about on the main road..^^ YOu might get some good deals from him