Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dancing the night away

One part of our wedding that is pretty important to me is the dancing. Ever since I first took a dance workshop while I was in Oxford, England I have been hooked. I just love learning how to dance. It's not easy and I have a lot of bad habits from dancing that I still struggle to break/ignore. But most of all, I love how I feel when I dance. I'm so happy and I usually have a ridiculous smile on my face. So I realized that dancing would happen at my wedding when it did happen. What I didn't count on was falling in love with a man who has never been out on a dance floor ever. I did get him to go to a social dance back in February because that's how much this man loves me. He didn't dance at all, but the fact that he came meant the world to me.

When we got engaged and started planning our wedding, I told him that I really wanted a first dance with him. The caveat is that he won't go to a dance class...I have to teach him here at home. Sigh. I've never learned how to teach dance moves and trying to figure some of them out is a struggle. I have to reverse the hands, step with the opposite foot, etc. It's a real struggle sometimes. We went nearly a month without dancing because I was so frustrated with it and he really didn't want to do it anyway.

But here we are, 4 months away from our wedding day and we've started practicing again. I think it helps that we have a song now and a better idea of what we're doing. I still may only get one dance out of this man, but by God, it's going to be awesome. On Sunday night we carried the coffee table out of the lounge and put on some music at 10pm so we could dance in the lounge. Jeff knows how much this means to me and I'm so grateful that he's putting forth this effort to give me what I really want. Now, if we could only sort out the rest of the wedding!

What did you decide to do about dancing? Anyone else marrying a man with two left feet? Are you teaching your partner to dance for the wedding, or am I the only crazy one?

1 comment:

K said...

It's so cool that he's willing to learn to dance with you, even though he won't go to classes: I'm sure your dance will be so beautiful and meaningful! In our relationship, I'm the one with the two left feet...I really didn't want dancing at our wedding, but I knew how much he wanted it, so we are going to have a few dances just for him.