Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Music is in the Air

One of the biggest struggles I've found with planning our wedding is the musical aspect of it. I love music, Jeff loves music, but he doesn't really love most of MY music. I will readily admit that I have erratic and sometimes terrible taste in music. Anything from musical soundtracks to heavy metal to pop music is in ready circulation on my iTunes.

So when it came down to our first dance song, it went something like this:

Me: I want to dance with you, one dance is all I ask (that sentence there is a whole other post waiting to happen...I'm teaching Jeff to dance).

Him: I hate dancing, why do we have to do this?

Me: Because I love it and I only want one dance.

Him: What song will we dance to?

Me: Umm, I'll find some and we can decide together.

We were practicing to dance to Mustang Sally, but that's not a good wedding song. Three months later...

Me: I hate trying to find a song.

Him: Let's just not do it then! (joking of course)

Me: What do you suggest?

Him: Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls.

We listen to his choices, try dancing to them, listen to more of my choices and dance to those. But nothing feels right. Everything is either too fast, weird tempo or not the right song. Finally last night it came to a head as he asked me yet again what we were going to dance to. I have to be honest here, I had pretty much given it up for a month because it made my head hurt to think about or try to figure out. So we listened to three songs I was really liking for this dance and he made the choice for me!

1. The Book of Love- Peter Gabriel

2. Bloom- The Paper Kites

3. Vanilla Twilight- Owl City

We danced to all three and Jeff chose Bloom. I am suddenly really excited about our first dance now. This song reminds me a lot of when I first met Jeff. I was introduced to this band and this song in particular right around the time I came to NZ on holiday. All the good memories I have of first meeting and getting to know my fiance are brought back up when I hear this song. Couldn't be more perfect I reckon.



This video of our song is lovely and makes me wish I could whistle. Also, my MOH thinks the girl in here reminds her of me. Poetic, huh?

Did anyone else struggle to find a first dance song? Does your song have special meaning to you?

No comments: