Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Upcycle #1

I decided to get creative with an old pair of sandals from last summer. There's not really wrong with them, but I just thought they were boring. I found some sandals online that I liked---


but they were WAY too expensive to purchase and I thought I could make something similar myself. So that's what I did in 40 minutes tonight. Now if only the weather would warm up enough so I can wear them instead of sneakers every single day.

So I started with my plain jane sandals, some extra fabric I've had since college and 1 inch wide elastic.



I then measured out how much elastic I would need and cut my fabric to make the ruffles. I just eyeballed the elastic and fabric. I wing a lot of the projects I do.



After cutting it all, I had to gather the fabric a bit before attaching it to the elastic with a zigzag stitch. Using a basic gathering stitch, I was able to bring the fabric to the point where I could attach the elastic. Easy peasy.



The final step was attaching the ruffles to the sandals. I sewed on a little extra fabric so I could run the ankle strap through and tie my sandals. After sewing and setting the strap in, I hot glued the other end to the toe strap. So unbelievably easy.

Why did I wait until I was 27 to own a glue gun?

Finished!!!!


Ignore my unpolished toes...it's difficult to care very much about the condition of my feet when I can't go barefoot.

No comments: