Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Japan=trouble

Seriously, I can't believe my luck. It just sucks, really. I got to Japan today to finish my E2 visa for my school. Let's just start with my school. They're not happy I have to miss work to finish my visa. But they knew that. But they're still not happy about it. Not thrilled that I'm missing two days of teaching. Which I'm taking unpaid leave for anyway.

Next step- the Korean Consulate. Yeah, I'm not a fan. Ok, so when I found out I had to come on Monday (I found out Friday afternoon) I scrambled to get all the information I would possibly need for my trip here. Subway line, costs of travel, booked my flight, found a hotel to stay at. Scrounged around and borrowed money in order to make this happen on such short notice. So I thought I was ready for it all. The website I had looked up said the consulate was open until 5pm, which was good since I couldn't get a flight before 1pm. Thought I'd be ok and get my visa application in and get my visa in time to fly out Tuesday afternoon. I get to the consulate and well, what do you know, they stop taking visa applications at 330. Guess what time I got there? Just guess...yep, 345. Bastards. So I stood outside the consulate, considering crying, but sucked it up and attempted to call them, from outside. Miraculously my Korean cellphone works to call in Japan (side note- it won't call Korea from here though). So I talk to a lady in the consulate and nope, nope, nope...I can't get my visa done in one day in order to get back to Korea to work on Wednesday. Nope.

Knowing now that my school is going to hate me even more, I dreaded making the phone call I had to make. Literally dreaded it so much I made myself sick. I got to my hotel, checked in for two nights. At least I get broadband internet for free in my room. Thank God for that. Made a call to Korean Air and was able to get my flight changed without a changing fee (thank God again). But then I had to call my handler, Juliet. She's pretty much my go-between for the school. I knew it was going to be a bad phone call. She informed me that the Vice-Principal was really unhappy about me going to Japan to begin with, and I know tomorrow is going to be the shittiest day, news wise. Which means Thursday, when I do go back for work, is going to be Hellish. Pardon my french here, but seriously. I am really concerned about the relationship with the brass at school now. If they take a grudge to me about this, then this year will be horrendous. I don't like conflict and I HATE stress related to working situations. I don't do well with it. So I guess I'll just make myself physically ill until this all resolves.

I know this doesn't all seem like a big deal, but for me it is. I really don't like that I have to stay an extra day in this insanely expensive country. I don't really have money to do much of anything and I will probably just sit in my hotel for the evening now and watch movies on my computer. Though, the trouble really isn't with Japan particularly, it's with Korea...of course. Tomorrow I'll go to the consulate and turn in my visa application and keep praying to God that things aren't as bad as I think they are at Jungsan Elementary School. Can I just hide in a hole?

Last complaint...I came prepared for one night here...so I only brought one extra shirt. Guess I'm wearing the same clothes twice. Ugh. I hate doing that.

That's it, I'm done whining. I just needed to get it out of my system. Tomorrow will be a better day. Hopefully.

No comments: