Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

in transit

So I've finished the first of three legs of my journey. Even though it was a short one, it was one of the more important ones because it entailed customs, baggage check and security checks...all three of my favorite things. And of course, I had problems at all three! Lucky me! Check-in was fine in Nelson, I had to pay extra for my overweight luggage, but it'll work out ok. I can't really help it- really, who can move to another country on 20 kg? (that's 44 lbs for you Americans). NO ONE! It's just not possible, especially when transporting a sewing machine in the checked luggage. Anyway, the flight from Nelson to Auckland was ridiculously short. Then came customs...the lady who weighs your carry-on luggage was a pain in my ass. She got tetchy about my carry-on being 13 kilos and made me go downstairs to the check-in counter to deal with it. The lady there was much nicer, she said I had to get it down and said it would be ok if I put more into my "purse" (I like to use that word loosely, considering my purse for traveling is really big and could hold a small child in it, or two, depending on the size ;-) So I loaded up my purse and headed back upstairs...where the mean lady decided to weigh both of my carry-on bags...instead of just my suitcase. ARRRGGGHHHH! Well, duh, it was more than 13 kg that time! The first time she didn't weigh my purse, which the lady downstairs had asked me. So the upstairs lady sent me back...of course. I got down there again to the same check-in lady, who was nearly as frustrated as I was...by the upstairs lady. She said that if I got her again, to remind her that my purse was carrying my computer. I then went to a scale and trash bin and went through my stuff for a third time...rearranging and getting rid of things (sniff, sniff) and determined to make it past the upstairs lady if it was the last thing I did. I went back up with my hoodie hid in my jacket (which wasn't weighed either previous time), little things hidden in my camera bag (which was now NOT in my suitcase) and two books and a notebook lighter. Prepared to fight my way past her, I went through...but got a different lady who only weighed my suitcase, didn't ask about my purse and waved me on through. SERIOUSLY?!?!? So I got through, and then went to the security check...where I set off the alarm (of course). But it was just my belt...in Auckland they're not so concerned about hidden things in shoes and belts left on. It was nice to not have to take off my shoes. I have to say, the USA is the most neurotic of any country I've traveled to/from in regards to security checks...I mean, it's just absurd back home. Thank God for the laid-back Kiwi attitude. Now I have to wait 3.5 hours more to board for my flight to Hong Kong...gonna watch a movie now and try to relax before the next leg.

No comments: