Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Shop Days: What's New?

A new series on here will be coming to you every Thursday. I will be showcasing something new in my online shop or possibly talking about an aspect of the business of selling my own creations. 

This week I'll be sharing some of the items I have for sale and sharing a bit about my creative process when it comes to designing children's clothing.

My shop can be found at Doodlebug Designs. I really like felt.co.nz because it has a really simple process set up for creating listings and has a flat fee for listing items. It's a pretty website too and I like that it's a community of creative people in New Zealand. 

Apples and Pears 
embroidery highlighted
 When I first started making children's clothes, I always felt that I needed to add a little something extra. I thought about it a bit and decided to give embroidery a go. This pair of hearts is machine stitched on with my standard sewing machine.
 I am a big fan of vintage fashion and love the simplicity of children's clothes from days gone by. I tend to mix fabrics and patterns when I make clothes and I have a pretty big collection of vintage fabrics to work into my designs.
 I currently exclusively use buttons as closures for my clothes, but I am going to experiment with snaps and master that technique for more options.
Bears and Daisies
 This one is just a big reminder to me of autumn. The colors and pattern lends itself to a little girl with a bright personality.
It's a little hard to see here, but this dress has the double hearts embroidered on it in a rainbow thread. That reminds me, I need to find some more of this awesome thread. 

I like clothes to be simple and cotton fabrics have always been a go-to of mine. I also don't usually buy fabric with an idea of what I'm going to make. So I have a collection of fabrics just waiting to find a purpose. What will I come up with next? Tune in next week to find out.

No comments: