Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Building a Brand

I finally did it. I have been sitting on my butt for years about seriously crafting to sell, but I've had enough of my procrastination. When we got back from our trip to the USA at the end of August, I decided that enough was enough. So I got to work on some projects, cleaned everything up and opened an online shop on Felt.co.nz. It's been a month now since I started this little venture and while I haven't yet sold anything, I am hopeful. I know it takes a lot of work and time to build a brand, so I'm starting now.

There are a few steps I have taken so far and a few more left to go to really establish myself. But I wanted to share the steps I have listed for myself and you can let me know if you think I'm forgetting something.

1-- Decide what to focus on. I did some research online and found that while there is a plethora of little girls' clothes, boys are decidedly lacking. Now I love making girls' clothes (who doesn't love ruffles and ribbons?) but I have to admit that my designs aren't going to stand out enough in an online search to garner a purchase. With boys I have a better chance of it because there isn't a lot of competition.

First set of overalls I made. 

Re-designed short overalls.

The same as the blue pinstripes, but a close-up on the
pockets made from old denim jeans.

2-- Figure out your mission statement. When I was a communication major at college (and then with the education masters program I did) I had to learn how to write a mission statement to summarize who I was and my beliefs. This skill translates into almost any venture, business or otherwise. There needs to be a succinct way to describe what your brand is without rambling on.

3-- Design a logo/brand image. This is pretty easy actually. I used Powerpoint to merge the elements together and saved it as a jpeg. My brand name comes from a nickname from my Dad when I was in school. My mom painted it on a present to me at my high school graduation (I think it was high school) and it's always been my brand name.


4-- Create an account with an online shopping website. I chose to go with Felt because it is based in New Zealand where I live. A lot of people here in NZ use this website to sell their handmade products and I feel like it's a good place to start. I do have an Etsy account, but I'm not putting up listings there until I have my brand more established and want to expand my shipping to overseas.

5-- Get the word out. This is probably the hardest part of building a brand, I reckon. I'm signed up for a free webinar about selling crafts this weekend, so I'm looking to get some tips on marketing and using my blog to share my brand and expand who I reach. A subset of this is getting business cards made. I notice that a lot of people locally get their products picked up by shops and can always find their business cards. I think having these would help me share my name and contact information with shops and people. Of course, I don't have them yet, but it's because I don't have the money for it right now. Soon though.

6-- An ongoing part of building (and maintaining) a brand is continual research and design innovations. I'm not going to limit myself to just a few things that I master, because there is always going to be a need for children's clothes and a lot of parents who will want to have unique clothes for their little ones.

What are the reasons for this sudden jump into crafting as a business?

I turned 30 this year and am now married. I do want to have a family and when that does happen, I will be staying home for the years until everyone is in school and I can start work again. Since we have decided to go along this path, I want to still contribute to the income in whatever way I can. This is the way I can do this while staying home in the future. So I needed to get serious about this and start it now while I am working part-time so I can get established. Fingers crossed and lots of hard work may lie ahead of me, but I know I can do this.

So what have I forgotten? Any other suggestions to expand my brand and reach more people here and abroad online?

Upcoming on Debbie's Doings:

Wednesday- Creating for Christmas
Thursday- Shop Days
Saturday- Building a Happy Home
Monday- Cooking to a Healthy Home

No comments: