Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Crafty Wedding: The Ceremony Part 2

Alright, it took me all week, but I found the script from our ceremony. I really did NOT want to transcribe it from our video, so I kept looking. I originally pieced together our script from bits I found on the internet and our officiant reworked it to flow better and smoother. I still remember the afternoon she read the script to me over the phone for the first time and I started tearing up. I knew it was perfect and would reflect our marriage wonderfully on that day. So without further ado, here's our wedding script:

Ladies and gentlemen! On behalf of Jeffrey and Deborah, welcome!




You all, family and friends, have gathered together here today to witness and bless the union in marriage of this couple. Today Jeffrey and Deborah bring their hopes and dreams, their gifts and talents, their unique personalities and spirits, which God will unite as one as they build their lives together. We rejoice with them in thankfulness to the Lord for creating this union of hearts, built on friendship, respect and love. Today Jeffrey and Deborah are doubly blessed as they have the approval and blessing of their families and friends.

Who has the honor of presenting this woman to be married to this man?

Mom and Dad: We do.

My dad then opened the wedding in a short prayer of blessing. It was nice to have him do part of the ceremony like that since he couldn't perform the wedding itself (because he's not a recognized celebrant in NZ).



Hand in hand you enter marriage, hand in hand you step out in faith on your journey through life. The hand you freely give to each other is both the strongest and the most tender part of your body. In the years ahead you will need both strength and tenderness. Be strong in your commitment, never let your grip become weak and yet, be flexible as you go through life's changes. Strength and tenderness, strong commitment and flexibility; of such is a marriage made as you walk together hand in hand.Also remember that you don't walk this path alone. Never be afraid to reach out to others when you face difficulty, or when you feel like a failure. There are the hands of your family and friends and church family to reach out to. Just as they support you both today, they will be there for you in the future. Always remember, above all else, that behind you, underneath you and al around you are the outstretched arms of the Lord Jesus Christ , the author and perfecter of your faith.



Doug: He read our reading chosen from the Song of Solomon.      I am my beloved's and he is mine, his banner over me is love.      Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm.     For love is strong as death,jealousy is fierce as the grave.     Its flashes are flashes of fire,the very flame of the LORD.     Many waters cannot quench love,neither can the floods drown it.



Jeffrey, sharing with Deborah a relationship of love, tenderness and laughter, will you stand by her through all her tomorrows, respecting her as a person, her individuality, her needs, her changes and enjoying her love through all your life together?

Jeffrey: I will.

Deborah, sharing with Jeffrey a relationship of love, tenderness and laughter, will you stand by him through all his tomorrows, respecting him as a person, his individuality, his needs, his changes and enjoying his love through all your life together?

Deborah: I will.

As family and friends, you form a community of support for Jeff and Debbie. Each of you, by your presence today, is being called upon to uphold their commitment to each other. Offer your love and support, never your judgement. Encourage them and listen to them when they ask for advice. Do you offer your love and support to strengthen their marriage and bless this family created by their union? Please answer by saying we do.

Congregation: We do.



Laura: She was supposed to do her reading here, but Laura realized once we were up at the front of the chapel that she left her card with her reading somewhere else. Oops! It was okay though. Here is the reading though, where it was supposed to be (she ended up reading it at our reception during speeches).

Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness,it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two. (From Captain Corelli's Mandolin).




I, Deborah Marie Long, take you, Jeffrey Leo Brooks to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day through our lives. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we face together. I give you my hand, my heart and my love, from this day forward, for as long as we both shall live.

(After I got through my vows, I had to take a breath because I was fighting back tears the whole time. My dad then laughed and said, "Breathe Debbie, breathe.")

I, Jeffrey Leo Brooks, take you, Deborah Marie Long to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day through our lives. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we face together. I give you my hand, my heart and my love, from this day forward, for as long as we both shall live.






We then exchanged rings with this pledge to each other:
With this ring, I give you my heart. I promise from this day forward you shall not walk alone. May my heart be your shelter and my arms be your home.

Jeff and Debbie, today before your family and friends as witnesses, you have declared your lifelong commitment to each other. You have vowed and made promises to each other and symbolized it by the exchanging of rings. And so by the authority I have by the the Law of New Zealand, I now have the privilege of pronouncing you husband and wife. Jeff, you may kiss your beautiful bride!


First kiss!


Our second kiss...we almost always rub noses.


In wedding ceremonies in New Zealand, the marriage certificate is signed as part of the ceremony. After our first kiss, we signed our certificate while Jeff's father played Trumpet Voluntary from the back of the church. Very few people knew he was going to play for us, so I heard some people jumped in fright when he began.





Closing prayer: Lord God, we give you thanks for our coming together to share in this joyful yet solemn act. We rejoice in the relationship of Jeff and Debbie and give thanks for the love that has brought them together and gives direction and purpose to their future. Let your blessing, peace and love cover them all the days of their life together. Amen.

Thank you again for joining Jeff and Debbie in their special celebration. Ladies and gentlemen, it gives  me much pleasure to present to you Mr. and Mrs. Jeff and Debbie Brooks!




Our recessional music was a piece played on the trumpet by Don. Only a couple people knew we were having a music piece from LOTR as it was a surprise for my dad. It was this piece from Lord of the Rings:

The part he played starts at 1:15. 

We exited the church and then we were married! Yay!

No comments: