Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Home Renovation: Making a Space for Myself

I've been living with my husband for a year and a bit now and while I have helped re-organize, re-arrange and de-clutter the house we now share, there isn't a space that is wholly mine. Jeff has his own space (his work shed that I rarely venture into). We've been sharing the spare bedroom for the last year between his music things and my craft things. Recently though, we have opened our home to my father-in-law for a short-term stay as he resettles up here, and have decided that it was time to do something about all my stuff. Since the wedding, I feel like my crafting and sewing has gotten a little out of control (and my nannying and teaching materials have been thrown in there as well) and there really just wasn't much room left in our spare bedroom. What we did have was a perfectly decent sunroom that was basically our junk room for boxes and storage. I hate that space and have been planning on a renovation of it in the future. Specifically a craft room that I can lock up and away from children (when those show up). I talked Jeff into doing the changes to the sunroom now so I can have a space to myself and there would be more room in the spare bedroom. It might actually become a guest bedroom after all. So for the last couple of weeks we've been working on this room. Here's our journey so far...

 We painted the walls with two coats of something called "oyster grey." Well, it's not grey at all. It's a nice cream color. It's one of two colors that are the outside of our house- Free!
 That wall was pink...I just didn't take a before picture.
 All of my craft/school/sewing things are packed in boxes and baskets just waiting for me to shift them over.
 Green trim on the windows made a HUGE difference out here.
 I am proud to say that I figured out how to get the old plastic lightshade off and one of our wedding lanterns on. Without electrocuting myself. Oh yeah, and Jeff is installing the sewing bench for me that he made from our old laundry room door. He's a clever one.

Now here is some inspiration for the storage solutions for this narrow space:

 We're going to have low shelves built in (Jeff's handiwork again) so I can fit storage boxes on them for
 I like this idea, but we can't do baskets because of bugs and the cat. She likes the sunroom and I'm probably going to have to share the space with her.
I saw this picture a long time ago and loved it. Jeff isn't going to build this...hold on, now he's seeing this picture and the design might change. We'll see. But the table part I am going to cover and make it as a work table and large ironing board. I mostly only iron when I'm sewing anyway. I'll keep taking pictures and post things as we go along. We're getting some free carpet from a friend on Tuesday and I'm making curtains out of old curtains we have that are too long (it's drafty in there and winter is coming), Jeff will start making the shelves and get some manuka sticks to make curtain rods for the curtains. It's coming together now.

No comments: