Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

A little something for the ring-bearer

One of the things I thought little about, until recently, was what our ring-bearer is going to carry down the aisle. Our ring-bearer is an awesome guy. He's my best friend's (and consequently my MOH's) son.

photo via Facebook: MOH and my ring-bearer bud
I couldn't have a more awesome ring-bearer bud and I'm glad he's excited about his job too. When we first got engaged, his mom told me that they told him he would have to wear whatever I wanted because it was my big day. His dad even said if I wanted him to wear a top hat, then he would have to wear a top hat.

So I'm not making him wear anything as ostentatious as a top hat. He is wearing a button-up shirt, grey trousers and a red bow-tie I made him. He also has new red Chucks to wear with his wedding suit. I'm super-excited about it!

What I hadn't thought much about was what he would actually be doing. There are a lot of new trends out there for ring-bearers besides the traditional pillow.

Image via: Dress Dress
Seriously, those two kiddos are so cute!

Image via: Braggin Bags Etsy
There are even modern options for a pillow...but I don't really want him to carry a pillow with fake rings on them. Or the real ones for that matter.

Image via: Summit Hills Florist NJ
 We could always use a book...but Jeff doesn't really read much, so I ruled that out.

Image via: The Bridal Dish
A sign would be cute too. But would take a lot of time to make (especially if we went with a wooden one).

The one option I kept coming back to is this one:

Image via: Country Barn Babe
A wooden keepsake box. I loved it. So I started looking around to see what I could find here to work. Big fat no at the crafting store in town, big fat no everywhere I actually looked. I didn't want to really buy one already made for us online. So I turned to Trade Me and found a listing for a vintage wooden jewelry box that I loved...and it was only 10 dollars. So I got it and turned it into a small DIY project as it was old and needed a good cleaning.

I went through two movies cleaning this up with q-tips, toothpicks and water. It was meticulous work. Then I had to overhaul the insides because it was yucky red satin and was divided into two uneven sections.

personal photo
 I didn't get pictures of the cleaning job, but needless to say, it needed it! The fabric I decided on was a scrap I had kept for several years. It was just too pretty to get rid of!
Personal photo
The empty inside- it didn't take much to rip out the lining.

personal photo
 I used my modge-podge and a paintbrush to get the fabric on the lid. When it came to the box part, I went with double-sided tape around the edge and then modge-podge over the top. Add some pillow stuffing and there you go!
personal photo
It's done. It's not quite the clean, rustic image I saved and drooled over. I suppose I could have had Jeff make a box for this (as he has 4-5 boxes he's made sitting on his dresser), but I didn't want to add to his list of things to do. The box may be a little bit fancy, but it will hold our rings as my ring-bearer bud brings them to us on our big day. And that's really all I wanted.

Did you shy away from the traditional pillow for your wedding day? What do you think of the lovely box we'll get to keep for the rest of our lives? I love it!

1 comment:

Shoshanah said...

I thought about doing a book, but the book I wanted to use would have been a little too big for our ring bearer to use.

I kind of wound up forgetting about this, until just before the wedding, so wound up buying a pillow from Michael's on sale and tying a bunch of blue and purple ribbons around it to match our color scheme.