Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Making the Dress: 3 Incarnations

One of the biggest challenges in making my own wedding dress is the transition from imagination to reality. What I liked when I tried on dresses wasn't necessarily going to be possible for me to do. What I thought I wanted ended up looking awful when I tried to make it. This is the primary reason why I wanted a dressmaker's form to try out different possibilities for my dress without the sewing and picking out of stitches when I rejected something. Being able to visualize before I went to the sewing machine was extremely helpful as you will see.

Step 1: pinning the pleats for the bodice.

Step 2: Oh so many pins!

Step 3: Incarnation 1 of the bodice...too messy.

Step 3: Incarnation 2 was too fussy.

Step 3: Incarnation 3 was simple and just right.

Step 4: Sewn up and back on Betsy for a final inspection.

Step 5: I cut the back pieces short before I gathered or pleated...so I guess I am not doing that!

Step 6: A zipper will go in after Christmas.
Next up is the skirt of my dress. I'm surprised that I have ended up going the route of a simpler dress. I thought I wanted a more complex bodice, but I couldn't get it to look right. There is still going to be a lot going on with this dress once the lace is added and the skirt is raised to reveal my crinoline, but all in all, I'm really happy with how it looks. It also gets Jeff's approval as well. I ended up adding a second layer to the bodice to hide the floral print of my corselet so it's a little thicker than I had planned on, but still lovely. Also, I hate sewing french seams, but damnit, they make the inside of the dress so much cleaner!

Image via: Coletterie
 

What do you think so far? I'm feeling pretty confident about my dress-making skills now but now I struggle to think that I will be wearing this on MY WEDDING DAY. It's a weird thought for me, I suppose. Did anyone else struggle to make it feel "real" for your wedding? Is it just a phase and it will pass and I'll feel like a bride sometime?

No comments: