Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Having a Laid-back Reception

As the wedding draws nearer (100 days!!!), I keep thinking about our reception and how I want that to happen. Keeping in mind that Jeff is a really shy guy and prefers to live without the hoopla and social aspects of being a human, I keep thinking about our entrance and what traditions I want to keep for our reception and which ones we can live without.

Keepers:

First dance...this was not optional for Jeff. I am getting a first dance with him, period.

Father-daughter dance...since Jeff isn't involved in this, there was no discussion about it. :)

Speeches....I'm looking forward to these and at the same time I am slightly scared as to what might get said! haha.
 

On the Fence:

Bouquet/garter toss...originally I was against these, but some people have mentioned how they are looking forward to this particular tradition, so I'm considering it still. I'll make a garter in case Jeff decides he does want to do this one, as well as a second toss-bouquet.

Announced entrance...I thought I wanted this, and after watching videos of it from other weddings and reading about it I am feeling that it is really contrived and would be uncomfortable. Our wedding party is so small and Jeff would be overwhelmed by this a lot. I'm thinking that around 5pm we just get someone to announce our first dance and then we'll do that and then have dinner. No fuss, no muss.

Having a DJ for the reception...we're having a friend set up a sound system with a jukebox, so no official DJ for us. I have thought about getting a friend to announce some things, but if we nix the grand entrance then there's no point really to have a DJ. We can just use our theatre-trained projection to get people's attention for something if we need to! It's a small reception room anyway.



I guess what I'm getting at is a lot of the stuff that focuses on the couple and deals with performance, I'm not sure about and feel like our relaxed family-style reception would not hold up to an evening full of obligations. I want to be able to dance with my husband once, eat food, visit with friends and family and generally enjoy my evening.

Were there any things that were nixed when it came to traditions? Would you get rid of aspects of the wedding to soothe the shy partner in the marriage?

1 comment:

linxyandthebluesky said...

I think it is so important to have those traditions...but on the other hand I also get sick of pointless rituals...glad you can find a compromise. The father-daughter dance will not work for me...but their might be other stuff that we will figure out.