Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Friday, October 12, 2012

If I Had A Green Thumb...

this is what I'd do:

Image via: Garden Oasis

Image via: Sunset Cottage

Image via: Phyllis Rowley
Instead, this is what I have:

Personal photo
It's really hard work building up flower beds that have been abandoned to weeds for about six years. Really hard work indeed. But I'm plugging away at it because I really want to create a beautiful home for us. And I don't want to spend money on flowers for our wedding. Since our wedding is at the end of the summer in NZ, I am confident that all we need for our wedding (flower-wise) we can grow at home or get from the family farm. So I'm planting away, praying they grow and planning on cutting most of my garden beds up when the time comes. This is what I want it to look like for our wedding, except maybe not so full and lush, because that would be a A LOT of flowers.

Image: Jen Huang via Pinterest
Image: Ken Kienow via Green Wedding Shoes
Image: brocantegirl via Beach Bungalow 8
I've got poppies, stock, love-in-a-mist, daisies of 3 kinds, catmint, and baby's breath growing at the moment. In a couple more weeks I'll plant out my cottage seed mixes and pray for the best. I've got lots of plant food to help it all grow and all I can hope for is a bountiful harvest of flowers for our DIY wedding. If all else fails, we'll get lots of manuka flowers and heather flowers from up at the farm and just use that instead.

Heather flower image: NZ Plant Pics via: Image Juicy

Manuka flower image: Bushman's Friend
In an ideal world the flowers at my wedding will be bright, varied and amazing. In reality, it may be far less, but I'm okay with that. As long as I get married to my best friend, then it doesn't matter what the flowers looked like.

Did you grow all the flowers for your own wedding? Is the thought of doing so as overwhelming for you as it is for me? How does one control all the weeds without spending huge amounts of money on weedmats, etc?

2 comments:

K said...

Wow, you're growing your own flowers? That's amazing! Even if they don't end up exactly like you pictured, that's still so cool that you're doing it from the heart like that: really special (and hey, if needed, you can always perk them up with some filler from the grocery store or whatever :))

Shoshanah said...

When we bought our house my favorite part was the huge landscaped backyard. Except what I've come to realize is that I'm NOT an outdoorsy person. Our backyard is really in awful shape, as least compared to what it used to look like. So while I'd love a beautiful backyard, I know I don't really have the energy to upkeep it.

And just letting you know I'm Miss Ariel on weddingbee!