Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Finding a Veil- Sort of

One of the accessories I have been giving a lot of thought to recently has been my veil. When I was at the wedding shop a few weeks ago, I got to try some on and see how they looked on me. Everything was a no-go. I'm not a long veil kind of a woman and sort of knew I was wanting something more like a blusher birdcage veil. Like this one:

Source:A Merry Wife

The problems I have with all the birdcage veils I can find online to buy are quite numerous:

--They have big flowers or feather attached to them.

Source:Wedding Bells

--They have too much tulle or netting and look like something has exploded on your head (this might just be my problem).

Source:Wedding Bells

--They are too expensive for this DIY cheap-o. Seriously, the one blusher I tried on in the shop was over $150 dollars. I know you can find reasonable ones online, but I still couldn't find anything that I liked enough.

So I made mine instead. And with my Spotlight membership, the netting only cost me $7.49 for a meter of it. Bam! (Sometimes I think I am Emeril Legasse BAM). Everything else I already had at home. So here is a photo tutorial of what I did with my finished veil at the bottom.

All I needed.

What you can't see is the first step: cutting the meter length in half and sewing them together before I sewed all along the outside edge to gather it. Took 4 episodes of Friends to do that.

I then gathered it and shaped it the way I wanted it. Pinned and sewed it to the comb.

Adding my own touches to it.

I'm only wearing my veil for the wedding, so I thought some bright colored beads would liven it up a bit.

Ta-da!

Final verdict? It's still bigger on top than I would like, but I need to see it on my head with my hair all done up before I can tack anymore of it down. The plan is to have a second comb in my hair that has 2 or 3 multicolored ribbon flowers in it that will stay in my hair for the reception. My hair will be up somehow (depending on the skills of whoever is doing my hair) but I can't figure out how since my hair is a hot mess right now. Short is nice and casual, but my hair doesn't like to hold curl, I don't want to look like a six-year-old pretending to get married with sausage curls and it needs to be pinned back.

So what do you think? Does my DIY veil stand a chance of looking awesome on my wedding day? In the end, it was under $8 and only took a couple hours of my time.

1 comment:

K said...

I think your veil is very pretty and I love the comb! I do think it should be shorter/smaller, but that's likely an easy fix to do once you figure out how your hair is going to be!