Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm a woman with a Plan

And yes, it's a plan with a capital P. I've come to a decision and I feel very confident with it. I know for months now, I've been talking and planning (and stressing about) a move to the UK this spring. At first I was going to apply and go in January, then I was going to apply next week to leave in April. But now I've come to a completely new decision. I'm going to move to New Zealand instead!

I had talked with Laura about work there in theatre. She's got some great work opportunities there and I decided to look into it. Well, as it turns out, I can get a working holiday visa for a year, live with Laura and her guys, and work professional theatre with greater ease than making a move to London. I know my plan for so long has been London- and it's still going to be there in a couple years when I want to go to graduate school. However this opportunity shouldn't be missed. In moving to London there's little surity that I'll find theatre work there immediately since I have no contacts there. In New Zealand though, I have a contact and a sewing job waiting for me (medival costume patterns and fabrics are waiting for me--no joke!)

So I'm working on the application process for New Zealand so I can move there instead of London in April. I'm going to do it! I'm thrilled about it actually. I'll be able to do more craftwork and gain experience in theatre again which will make me very happy. Plus I'll be living in a country where the US dollar is worth more and the cost of living isn't nearly as high as the UK.

I have seven weeks left as a math teacher and I'm reaching a point where I'm going crazy. I really know I can't be a junior high teacher- it's rough. They're boneheads for the most part--I can't hate 'em for it because I was one of them. I just didn't really plan on working in that setting ever! Midterms are upon me and in a couple weeks we have the ISAT testing. Man, I thought I had put that all behind me (ISATs I mean). So I've made my Plan and am going to enjoy it when I go. That's pretty much all I got right now. I haven't been out taking pictures lately--though I'm hoping that it warms up so I can get out again. This bitter cold is just not great for me, I'd rather be wrapped up in a blanket and reading a book!

2 comments:

Laura said...

You'll take plenty of pictures in a few weeks when you get here! I can't wait!!!! Elijah knows as well. We've talking about it and he's been pointing at your picture that's on the fridge. We're waiting for you!!!

DebinNZ said...

awww...that makes me happy to hear it. and makes me tear up a bit to think about! awww...you guys are ridiculously cute.