Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

First DIY: Card Suitcase

I fell in love with alternate ideas for collecting gifts/cards for a wedding. As we are only registered for a honeymoon fund (through honeyfund.com), I figured we could mostly just use something to collect cards at the wedding. Rather than paying someone else to make one for me, I figured I could create it myself. This was my inspiration:

Source:Pinterest

I happened to find an old suitcase at a vintage shop in town for $25.

I have a vast collection of random fabrics, both vintage and new. I found something that worked with my wedding plans. I then modge-podged the fabric into the suitcase because there was no lining in it at all.

I finished that and moved on to the lettering. I printed out large letters on my printer, cut them out, traced them onto my cardstock backwards and then cut those out (so my tracing lines are on the back since my cutting isn't so great). I glued them onto some twine, added ribbon from my ribbon drawer, put some old light fixture plastic beads on and then decided it needed glitter.

Here's a close-up of my work.

All I have left to do is attach some removable hooks to the inside and I can hang my sign across the top. I also found a perfect piece of crocheted doily to lay across the bottom. I was pretty proud of the work I did over a weekend on this.

All in, this project only cost me the 25 dollars I spent on the suitcase. Everything else I already had at home. This is when my craft supply hoarding will pay off. I have been collecting odds and ends of supplies for years for no apparent reason, but this project just proved to me why I do that. It really is worth it. :)

No comments: