Pages

Debbie's Doings

When two people sing together, they're in love; when two people dance together, they make love.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Countdown continues...

So it's hard to believe how many countdowns I have going on right now. I have my countdown to leaving Korea, my countdown to seeing Laura/Luke and Nony again, countdown to going to the US, and, of course, my countdown to the election. The numbers respectively are 24, 30, 44 and 36. I'm so excited by them all! (well, almost all)

I've spent alot of this past weekend getting down the the serious
business of exhuming my possessions. Would that be a good verb to use here? I'm not sure, maybe not. Though I do feel like I'm bringing them back from the dead. Two years' worth of stuff is alot to go through. But I think I'm nearly done. I went through my clothes a few weeks back, finally got that all bagged up to give away and daily taking a bag to the donation bin to further the progress. I went through my nightstand and desk and have filled two boxes- one is stuff i need to burn and/or put in the trash and the other is to give away to whoever wants the stuff (and if no one wants it, then I trash it as well). I have a bag of things to take to school for their use. Another bag of picture frames I'm not mailing back to the states (mom would be so proud of me for NOT keeping them all...) is awaiting claim. Today I did the biggest part of my moving out to-do list- I mailed my three boxes of keeper stuff home! Though hauling the boxes to the post office down the street really wasn't fun during my lunch hour! But it's done now. They are mailed off (along with my absentee ballot). Tomorrow I will, hopefully, go to the Pension office and put in my request for the refund there. I'm also going to get ahold of my bank to get monthly statements for my UK visa request (long story-- so many documents needed to prove I'm not incapable of taking care of myself there or that I'm not a huge liar in regards to my finances). I've also found a home for Dahlia upon my departure! That's an answer to a worry I've had.

I'm really excited for my vacation to Ireland. I really can't wait to get there and see my girls, and boys. ;-) I'm just very ready for a vacation. I need a break from work and that doesn't mean going home immediately to my family in IL- I want a REAL vacation! I have no plans beyond getting to Ireland and seeing Laura, Luke and Nony a week later. Perhaps I should be planning more of this trip, but I just don't see it happening!

I am excited to see my family again. Though, I have alot of mixed feelings in going back to the states. I actually don't want to go back there, but know that in order to get my next goal, I need to get things sorted out from that end of the world. So I'm preparing myself for the sadness I'm sure to face upon returning to the USA (cuz let's be honest, I don't like it there, that's why I left!) with the hope that I'll be moving to the UK by spring. I do look forward to catching up with the family left there though. I'll be sure to go see my niece who, I'd like to report, has 4 teeth and says babababababababbab all day long. I heard her on the phone a couple days ago and she is seriously the funniest person on the phone. She's noisy too...serves you right Becki! I'm planning on substitute teaching in the Cowden-Herrick district and Shelbyville district for awhile to be able to pay my bills at home because basically all the money I'll be leaving Korea with (pension, taxes, severance, final pay, and plane ticket refund) has to sit in my savings account for UK visa purposes for three months. Almost makes me want to just stick around Korea to give my account a little extra boost, but I feel like I really need to just get out at this point.

And the election. I'm following this election much more than I did any previous one and while that is difficult from abroad, I've found it mentally stimulating. After two years of ABC and 123, mental stimulation is a welcome change. I caught some of the first presidental debate and plan on tuning in this Friday morning (it's a holiday here) for the online viewing of the VP candidate debate. I predict that Biden kicks Palin's ass all over the floor. It ain't gonna be pretty, but I'm gonna love it all the same! That's right, I'm an Obama-Biden gal. Seriously, after reading about and hearing McCain- I question anyone's mental capacity to still think he's different from Bush and going to help us out of the quagmire 8 years of Bush have gotten us into. I mailed off my absentee ballot today, as mentioned above, and am proud of my vote this year. But hey, that's just me!

Alright, between all this packing and throwing out of things, I did manage to get out this weekend and take a love bike ride and walk around Lake Park again. Fall came this past week and I couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. I also found a really cool traditional garden at Lake Park and was shutter happy for about 20 minutes there. Enjoy the few here and check out the rest at www.picasaweb.google.com/debinoxford

No comments: